Sen2Cor v2.9 installation packages are provided as standalone installers. For a short introduction of how to install the standalone version of Sen2Cor, read the installation steps described in section 4 of the release note S2-PDGS-MPC-L2A-SRN-V2.9.0.pdf
The main new features in the Sen2Cor_v2.9 release include:
- Support of the L1C generated with the current (14.6) and previous (14.5 and 14.2) Products Specification Document, as input.
- Improvement of the cloud probability near the boundary of the swath.
- Correction of a light halo observed along image boundaries, either edge of the swath or end of data-strips.
- Support of new Copernicus 90m Digital Elevation Model, which replaces the PlanetDEM.
- Region of interest: which is a new function allowing the processing of a selected region of the L1C.
It is important to know, that the default configuration of the L2A algorithm provided with Sen2Cor version 2.9 is the same configuration as for the L2A “Core” Products processing in Sentinel-2 Ground Segment with L2A processing baseline 03.00. Therefore, no further tuning should be required on user side to get L2A Core Products. In order to generate products compatible with the L2A Core Products it is necessary to set the usage of a Digital Elevation Model to improve Scene Classification and have the activation of ESA-CCI data-package to be downloaded here and installed. The usage of ESA CCI data package for Sen2Cor v2.9 is detailed in the dedicated Software User Manual: S2-PDGS-MPC-L2A-SUM-V2.9.0.pdf.
The only differences between “L2A Toolbox” and L2A Core Products are reported in the following table:
|Category of Difference||Difference||L2A Toolbox||L2A Core Products|
|Product Format||HTML Folder||No||Yes|
|Manifest||Same Set of Items but arranged in different order|
|Product Quality Metadata||Copied from L1C||Generated by L2A On-line Quality Check (OLQC)|
|Attribute flag “REFINED” or “NOT_REFINED” of the XML tag Image_Refining in the product Datastrip metadata||Inherited from L1C||Generated by the Instrument Processor Facilities|
|Radiometry at Pixel Level||Digital Elevation Model||e.g. SRTM/DEM defined by the users||Copernicus DEM@ 90m|
|JPEG2000 encoding library||OpenJPEG||Kakadu|
The evolution of the processing baseline used to process Sentinel-2 L2A Core Products in Ground Segment are reported in the L2A Data Quality Report.
For any questions about the usage of Sen2Cor, please follow the general STEP forum area dedicated to Sen2Cor: http://forum.step.esa.int/c/s2tbx/sen2cor.
- 2.9 – It was released on 30 March, 2021. This version runs on the operating systems: Linux, Mac OSX and Windows (64 bit is mandatory). For details about the features and fixes, see the release note.
- Standalone installers:
Detailed information on all changes implemented in the new format of Sentinel-2 L2A product is available in the dedicated documentation online: Sentinel-2 Products Specification Document (PSD)
Release Note: S2-PDGS-MPC-L2A-SRN-V2.9.0.pdf
Software User Manual: S2-PDGS-MPC-L2A-SUM-V2.9.0.pdf
Sentinel-2 Level 2A Product Definition: S2-PDGS-MPC-L2A-PDD-V14.6-v4.8.pdf
Sentinel-2 Level 2A Input Output Data Definition: S2-PDGS-MPC-L2A-IODD-V2.9.0.pdf
The schemas of the GIPP file, GIPP AC, SC, and PB files relative to Level-2A products are attached to the IODD document as a *.zipp attachment. The attachment should be saved, and renamed as .zip to enable it to be opened.